Friday, January 22, 2010

A battle for Peace

World War I. World War II. Nazi concentration camps. Russian Revolution. French Revolution. Taliban. Terrorist attacks. Iraq war. War on Afghanistan. Israel-Palestine war. And so on.

Closer to home, Battle of Panipat. Battle of Buxar. War of Independence. Naxalites. Terrorism in Kashmir and North Eastern States. Three different wars with Pakistan, one with China. And so on.

In search of an article on “Peace”, I realized what all I have learnt as part of History since childhood is a war or a battle; here, there, somewhere. Despite it being a buzz word of every generation and billions of dollars spent in a process to acquire it, peace still remains a nonexistent entity.

As a subject, History has been pretty boring to me (I would attribute it, mostly, to the content that includes too many dates to memorize, the way I have been taught which required me to memorize all those dates and my bad memory that failed me to that in every class) since childhood, except class X when some interest towards the subject was sparked in me (And this I will attribute to a great extent to Mr. Jose Joseph, my history teacher for that class and enigma around the concept of Non-violence used by Mr. Gandhi). But now when I think why war takes precedence over peace in human history, I find an interesting trait - the need of being excited.

Peace is boring, monotonous and offers no excitement. What a historian (I think they are great storytellers, fiction or non-fiction, I would not be able to comment!) will tell about “Peace”? That from this period to that period, people lived happily. Period. But when he/she writes about wars, he has a plot. Differences. Hatred. Lust. Betrayal. Dishonesty. Greed. The world of ‘Power’.

Mostly, a hero is the person who fights a war and wins it, not a person who is able to manage a peaceful situation without ‘war’. It sounds funny to me when someone says that he/she is fighting for peace. All one fights for is ‘Power’. This is one thing that defines one’s superiority over a host of other people. It gives a sense (or nonsense) of self-fulfillment. And in some or the other capacity, everyone wants it. Everyone fights for it; some with brains, some with sword, and still some with hearts.

The joke here is, we all realize the power of a battle won. But not many envisage the power that peace withholds. It holds the power of growth. The power of innovation. The power of happiness. The power of free, humane existence.

But I don’t know how we can attain peace. I think I am not educated enough to find an answer to this. But we can make a start, I guess. In my quest to find answers to my crazy questions, I Googled “World’s most peaceful country.” I was informed that there’s something called Global Peace Index (GPI) that, on diverse parameters, evaluates various countries for their Peace Values. I was wondering, why I never get to read about Norway or New Zealand (who have the lowest GPI and are considered most peaceful countries in the world) but have to read about U.S. and such countries which only know how to “fight for peace” and are never able to achieve it? There’s some serious error.

I feel sad about all those history classes where I studied all those battles. I have wasted a great deal of time in this life. I wish I could change those books for generations to come. I think that would be a kind of revolution in education. In a true sense, 'A battle for Peace’.

4 comments:

tatva said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
tatva said...

Pupple der is a vry thin line btween KNOWLEDGE n WISDOM. Whtevr ur thought process is or if ya make sense or no sense et all, is none of ma business...bt u gt to hv a clear vision hon...being sarcastic or criticising is esy bt understand tht whn u hd dose history classes dey wer nt for a waste man...evrythng hs a reason or purpose in one's lyf...dose lessons wer to impart knowledge. D knowledge tht sm day clubbed wid wisdom cn move u or make u choose d right direction...yaar no one wants war n evryone hs a reason to fight...y do u thnk algebra or calculus or laws of motion or carbon structure wer tought whn v bloody did nt hd any relevance of all tht in our lives...v wer immature...ignorant & blank slates. Evrythng nw wud mk sense coz v learned it thn & nw cn apply our maturity...wisdom...n thought process to articulate meanin out of IT - D KNOWLEDGE tht v once consumed...Its gud u r frustrated n u wnt to change d course of things...bt u cud hv nvr thought about it hd u nvr learned all dose unnecessary dates...people died...massacre's...winners...loosers...etc. Remember still u knw d half truth...it wud hv been worse coz wht u read n learn is half cooked & partially served...Remember all that literature lost & stories untold who lost...they nvr hd a hand to write nor a tongue to tell der stories & whtevr dey wud hv told or written is either dead or burnt...As a layman i know WAR has no GOOD to OFFER...n PEACE is DEVINE...n in a nutshell i can say this as a layman coz i learnt something someday when i had much more useless things to worry about like my lunchbox or someone else's or if i could get an extra period to play football...or if i can get a new bicycle to go to school or if that teacher is cool or may be hot n chicks n on n on n on...bt now life has given me some wisdom which helps me understand the difference & courage to make one...n trust me noone is going on a war who is reading this n noone who is on a war will ever read this...still ur efforts shud nt die...n for tht hats off to u...jst tht i was nt convinced wid some parts of it as i mentioned...

luv ya hon...

n ASS**** i called you rt now n u F***in kept sleepin ovr it...bloody dis is how u gonna bring change in d society...kiddin man sleep tight...

01:46 am ... am signin off ... morning mein office bhi jaana hai...n 6 days workin SUCKS...jst dat kinda work im really havin fun n it ROCKS...also d weather is A.W.E.some in delhi rt now bas subeh uthne mein naani yaad aati hain yaar...ispe bhi koi article likh de lolz :-)

luv ya neways...

Saurabh Kumar Gupta said...

Hey Roit,

Few thoughts which just crossed my mind after reading this article -
1) U belong to tht genre who hold very promising chances in literary circle.
2)Cud hv sharpened beginnig n end of article. off course some points here n there in t body were more defining (i.e. last lines of 4n 5 para as it defines reasons for ur topic.
3)Invite more useful comments from others.

Thts all for nw...
Read next later.

Anonymous said...

Few Thoughts -

1. Agreed that we read history in a boring way. But then we still need to read history because it repeats itself. And, we should learn from mistakes made by others.

2. I think we all know how US economy survives on war. Lets not dwell on that subject. But we should still consider how New Zealand happen to be a peaceful country. This should be attributed to socio-economic reasons, like abundance of natural resource, lack of poverty and proper education.

We should not forget that sometimes we should have war in order to present the generations to come with a peaceful environment. This perhaps points us to the fact that War and Peace is cyclical. More in tune with creation and destruction.

War is perhaps a cost that we all pay to enjoy peace.

- Avra