Sunday, September 21, 2014

थोड़ा मुझ-सा (A little like me)

Many a times, I have been asked by my 'heterosexual' friends if the conversations around LGBT rights and sexuality liberation is overdone these days. To reflect upon their question, I observe conversations around love, relationships, sexuality and feelings that people in public places have. People do talk about marriage and children at work place. Ah! Let me correct, the heterosexual people do talk about such things. Others either elope from these conversations or pretend and lie in them.

This poem was penned in response to these and similar questions and reactions I am often faced with. In my exploration, I wonder, "Why is your marriage a matter of love, while mine a matter of activism? Why your wearing a bindi and sindoor (vermillion) is just fine, while my pink shirt is either 'too gay' or 'showing off my sexuality'? Why can it not be... just a pink shirt? Only if you could notice... I look handsome, very handsome, in a pink shirt.

Sometimes, in our politics of majority, we forget to realize what does it mean to be the 'other'. Even though we may have our own experiences of being 'othered' in different identities, we rarely use those experiences to raise our conscience towards a happy, diverse and inclusive world.

This poem is a reminder, to self and others, of what happens when someone is 'othered' and the process of 'othering' is not brought into the conscience of the majority. Here it goes -


फिर आज, थोड़ा तुझ जैसा जी लेता हूँ।
घर से निकलने से पहले ,
आईने में एक नज़र मार लेता हूँ।
कहीं मुस्कराहट मेरे होंठो की
कुछ ज्यादा तो नहीं?

वो गुलाबी शर्ट,
बड़ी शिद्दत से खरीदी थी मैंने,
आज भी अलमारी में बंद, नयी-सी पड़ी है।
हर सुबह उसे देखता हूँ,
"आज नहीं, कभी और"
कह, वापस रख देता हूँ।

ऑफिस में मेरी मोहब्बत का ज़िक्र
आज़ फिर नहीं होगा,
तू फिर आज़ अपनी शादी की तैयारियाँ सुना
पूछ लेना मुझसे,
" जनाब, तुम कब शादी करोगे?"
काश!
तुझे इल्म होता
कि नहीं दी है तेरे कानून ने
मुझे इश्क़ की इज़ाज़त अब तक।

खैर तेरी बारात में
मैं झूम के नाचूँगा।
क्योंकि खुद की तो बस
इश्क़ के जनाज़े की आदत है ना?

कल रात ही एक बर्बाद मोहब्बत
की मैयत से लौटा हूँ।
पर तू डर मत।
मैं इन कम्बख्त आँशुओं को
कभी गिरने न दूंगा।
थोड़े कम मर्दाना लगते हैं न?

दिन पर दिन पर दिन पर दिन 
कुछ तुझ सा.… कुछ तुझसा भी.…
और कुछ तुझसा…
मैं रंगता, मैं बनता, मैं फिरता…
तू है कौन? क्या है तुझसा?
क्या तू खुद तुझसा? या कुछ भी तुझसा?
बस है तो मुझे तुझसे बनाने की
एक भयंकर साजिश,
जहाँ सड़ रहे हैं हम,
हर पल मर रहे हैं, हम।

बस एक गुजारिश सुन,
मेरी मौत आने के पहले,
जब चंद साँसे बाकी हो,
तू कफ़न ओढ़ा देना मुझको,
बस वहीँ जी लूँगा,
चुप-चाप, ख़मोश।
थोड़ा मुझ-सा भी, मैं। 

Fir aaj, thoda tujh sa jee leta hoon.
Ghar se nikalane ke pahle,
Aaine me ek nazar maar leta hoon.
Kahi muskurahat mere hontho ki
Kuchh jyada to nahi?

Wo gulabi shirt,
jo badi shiddat se kharidi thi maine,
aaj bhi almari me band, nayi-si padi hai.
Har subah use dekhta to hoon,
 “aaj nahi, kabhi aur”
Kehkar waapas rakh deta hoon.

Office me meri mohabbat ka zikr
Aaj fir nahi hoga,
Tu fir aaj apni shadi ki taiyariya suna
pooch lena mujhse,
“ janaab, tum kab shadi karoge?”
Kaash!
Tujhe ilm hota
Ki nahi di hai tere kanoon ne
Mujhe ishq ki izazat ab tak!

Khair, teri baarat me
main jhoom ke naachunga.
Kyonki khud ki to bas
Ishq ke janaze ki aadat hai na.

Kal raat hi ek baarbad mohabbat
Ki maiyat se lauta hoon.
Par tu darr mat.
Main in kambakht aanshuon ko
Kabhi girne nahi doonga.
Thode kam mardaana lagte hain naa?

Din par din par din par din
Kuchh tujh sa… kuchh tujhsa bhi…
Aur kuchh tujhsa..
Main rangta, main banta, main firta…
Tu hai kaun? Kya hai tujhsa?
Kya tu khud tujhsa? Ya kuchh bhi tujhsa?
Bas hai to mujhe tujhsa banana ki
Ek bhayankar saajish,
Jaha sad rahe hain hum,
har pal mar rahe hain, hum.

Bas ek guzarish sun,
Meri muat aane ke pahle,
Jab chand saanse baaki ho,
Tu kafan odha dena mujhe,
Bas wahi jee loonga,
Chup-chaap, khamosh.
Thoda mujh-sa bhi. Main.

This poem was first performed at The Big Mic’s Poetry night in August, 2014. Later, it was revised for “Expressions – The Spoken Word Poetry Slam” and performed for my students at Service Learning Program (SLP) - The Akanksha Foundation on 21st Sept, 2014.


Note - The views expressed in this piece are based on my experiences and are purely personal. These may not represent any particular group/community of people.

3 comments:

Maddy said...

Well...i don't understand poetry but reading the first para written by you and other posts...i think things r changing (slowly)...in our country its difficult changing mindset on just anything (not only sexuality)...when i see around most people just follow the majority without giving a single thought on why something is being done..having said that i see few who think differently ...it's a slow progress.... So it's good to discuss such issues but not all the time...y treat it as an issue when it is not in our belief....a person who would comment on a pink shirt most probably would comment on a skirt as well!! When we act normally...most would take it normally...or learn to take it normally is what i think...

Sourav Kundu said...

I think whatever is happening is fine. There are certain thoughts that have been shunned for a little too long so if they are overdone these days [as a few people may thing] it is fine. Let it be. Our collective human thought process needs to be expanded way beyond where it is now.

We need to focus our energies into the expansion of consciousness. But we are not there yet, because we choose to hold onto a few traditional thoughts... which is fine. When the time is right... it will happen.

By the way Rohit, even I had a pink shirt in college and I have one now. I think I'll wear it sometime this week. :)

Unknown said...

I can so relate this to my own life. I see no any difference if compared with mine. And btw, not that I haven't gone through this lovely poetry of yours. Of course I did & even shared it on my Facebook's wall. The YouTube video gives me a sense of being myself in terms of being what I am. It is a pure blessing for anyone to watch the video again & again on YouTube. :)