Friday, May 11, 2007

Prove or Improve???

When I was a kid, my parents and friends used to tell me “Prove Yourself”. I adhered to this mantra for quite a long time. In fact, it has been a graffito in my room for long.

But after all these years, when I look into this phrase and the way it can affect someone’s thought process, I am not very pleased.

When I say “Prove Yourself”… the question is to prove what? And against what? And to whom?

If the answer to the above questions are –

Prove what I have. Against my peers. And to the people around me.

Then the next question is “Does it solve the purpose- The purpose of my very existence?” If life is all about showing what I already have, against the people who are more or less same to me, to the people who does not mean much to me… I think its no life then. If I waste my whole life in proving what I have, when will I find the time to add into what I already have? That thing, called “Value Addition”, will never happen to me.

There are people in this world who spend their whole life in proving what they can do and in this they loose the opportunity to explore areas.

Hey! If we alter this phrase just a bit, we see a huge-huge difference!!! “When I say to myself “Improve Yourself”, it’s totally a different take on life then. Here, the concept is competing with yourself, for achieving your own benchmarks and, hey, you don’t have to prove things to others but yourself. B’coz when you say “Improved” you already said “I-M-Proved”!!!!!! Isn’t it amazing?

Exploring new universes, reaching out for new stars, and without waiting for the world to acknowledge (b’coz the world takes a lot of time to do that, and you simply can’t wait!!), attaining new heights; that’s how you make a wonderful life, I suppose.

2 comments:

Amit Gaurav Pandey said...

Rohit u have touched every ones life here.

I remember when my dad used to say tht "see this guy has been selected in IIT tht guy has been selected in AIMS and u r good for nothing, if u hv something in u prove it".

At tht time I decided to prove myself to him. But when I hv already proved myself to every one including my Dad, I think instead of proving I should have improved myself.

there is a lot of difference in proving and improving. For proving something one can follow a wrong path also but when a person will try to improving (i.e i m proving :)) the chances are rare to go on the wrong direction.

so guys try to improve not prove.

Great work rohit keep writing such good stuffs

Kichu Sondesh said...

My personal and humble opinion is that proving and improving is the same thing.

Let me try to define proving. Proving would mean "establish the truth of something". Request all to note the word "truth". If we assume that truth is right then i am sure that there can be no way you can be wrong.

I would like to define the word improving as "a continous effort to prove the truth". Again please note the that the word "something" is missing.

Thus, when we make proving a continous effort (an habit) we improve. There are two dimensions which have changed. First, the time dimension has become dynamic. Secondly, one has not stopped at proving only one thing only.

Again, for a shorter period of time I would be using the word "prove", but for a wider time span, i will use "improve".

For a start let us start proving. I am sure with a continous effort we will improve.