Monday, June 25, 2007

Holes... that suck out the whole!!

I returned home at Twelve, Midnight, from office; went into kitchen towards the water filter to fetch some water for myself. And god!! It was almost empty. To satisfy my thirst, I had to use tap water, which is not very good. In fact it’s dangerous in the rainy season in a city like Mumbai.

I got to bed, and tried to get some sleep. When I closed my eyes, the day, just passed, appeared again in mind as repeat telecast of some Saas-Bahu serial. And as my sisters always give a second thought to all such serials, I gave it to my day. So here’s my day for you-

“It started off well. Like anybody’s. I went to office happily and my boss gave me an assignment. Work was good enough and could have been finished in a day’s time (or that’s what it seemed to me!!). I jumped onto it as I wanted to finish it off earlier than expected because I had catch up with my friends. But look what happened. I could merely finish off a little more than quarter of the work and it was evening already. My friends called up and barked on me for postponing our meet, yet again. I apologized as always. Went to work again with a heavy mood and could finish a bit more than half of the whole before I could take up the last office bus.”

Back home, no water, no sleep. No Water? Hey I did fill in the whole of the water filter in the morning!! Where did the water evaporated? The day wasn’t that hot!!

I went to kitchen again. When I carefully looked around the filter, I saw a trail of water running very softly from the back of the filter. Water didn’t evaporate, as it could not. It leaked out of a small hole. My water filter had a hole. I felt a bit relaxed, don’t know why. May be, because the mystery of the lost water was solved. I got back to the bed room and was back to my trial of getting a sound sleep. When I closed my eyes, the day reappeared like a black ghost. I opened my eyes, suddenly and closed it back as I wanted to see what this ghost had to tell this time. I visualized my day again and watched a few things that I had overlook at the first revision.

I did my work for most of the day but that was not all. I did too many others things as well. Like when my sisters watch their favorite TV soaps, they don’t watch just that but a lot of commercials in the breaks. And at the end of the day they forget whether they watched commercials in within the soap time or otherwise!! And I could see these commercial breaks in my work now. Uncountable ‘Coffee with Karan (Or who-so-ever-it-is, doesn’t matter)’ breaks. Chit-chat with friends/colleagues. Unnecessary phone called. Online chatting. Or all of them.

And suddenly I was smiling with eyes closed tightly. I found holes in my day’s life, which sucked out my working capacity. Holes, those sucked out the whole. It was such a simple concept and I could never realize!!

And this concept applies to every walk of life.

You had lots of money but don’t know where it’s gone? You had the whole day to finish off a job but could not and felt that the time given was too short? You had a bunch of amazing friends but lost touch with most of them? Your family begs for your time and you feel you just can’t help it?

Look out for holes. May be you are spending your money where you can easily save; say, a BEST bus can save 10 bucks where you take your rickshaw to. May be you are working with too many interventions and have lost focus on the main job. May be you said/did some stupid things to people who care about you and you never bothered to realize what you did.

The idea is, look out for holes and plug them. And you restore the beauty of life as a whole. I restored my water filter by plugging the hole in it, next morning. And it was a beautiful start.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i luvd it...it was smiling while reading ths one cz i cud actually imagine ur expressions.... :P
a well written...funny blog...with a good thought :)