Saturday, November 28, 2009

Kurbaan on Kurbaan!

Sometimes, its not important from where it starts; what matters is, where it ends and how does it reach it.

Yes, that's what Kurbaan is. A movie that executes itself with elegance and ends with grace. A movie where, you care to to notice even the suicide bomber who has a scene of few seconds inside the plane. A movie where not only characters talk but so does characterization. A movie where you don't find an unnecessary "Johny Lever" or too much of out-of-the plot song-&-dance sequences (I think, the opening song to US could have been avoided, but its digestible).

I am a huge Kareena fan. I definitely wanted to watch this movie because its hers. But when I came out of theater I knew I had liked the movie not just for Kareena but for Saif, for Vivek, for Om Puri, for Diya Mirza, for Kiron Kher; for Kulbhushan Kharbanda (Boy! his scenes are suffocative, as they are meant to be), for the story and screenplay writers, for the director, for the song composers, for the background score ( I personally think that is one of the important aspects of cinema, it makes or breaks the scene), for the cinematographer and for all those who had, in minutest way, had contributed to the movie.

Some Critics have shunned it as a copy from such as New York and Fanna. I say, let it be. The strength of Kurbaan does not lie in it being some First-of-its-kinda story. Rather it lies in the fact that when you are watching it, you don't care from where it is copied, but you enjoy every scene, every angle and feel lost in the beauty of it's execution.

I loved the classroom scene where the character played by Vivek debates with other students in Ehsaan's class.

So finally, I think, Mr. Johar has grown up to Cinema. The movie has been written well by him (I hated Kuchh Kuchh Hota hai & Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham, except the Kajol Scenes, and Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna even didn't offer that; the only good movie was Kal Ho Na Ho, and he was not the director for the movie! Here, I would not like to discuss Kaal, for the simple reason that it doesn't deserve even the mention).

The only issue is, which I think is an issue, in our movies, that the American Indians have such proper Hindi diction, which in reality I haven't seen in people I have interacted.

I just hope, we get to see some more better products from this production house in future!

Till then, enjoy the growth...

3 comments:

Tulika said...

Hmmm... I think I have to watch the movie now!!
And by the way, when did the transition from Diya to Kareena happen??? Remember College days?? :-)

Rohit Kumar said...

Ye Pyaay bhi bajeeb cheez hai Sanjana.. oopps Tulika... Naa jaane Kab aur kaise... ab to bas har movie me deedaar kiya jaata hai :P

Waise yaha baat Devdas jaisi hai... Paro ko bhoola nahi jaata... aur Chandramukhi ko bhulaya nahi jata... hahhahaha

Saurabh Kumar Gupta said...

Well defended Kurbaan (rather movie) with solid arguments...
Add more dimensions to your thought spinning around what, why, when, where and how?