Monday, December 8, 2008

For the change that we seek...and why?

(In response to the comments recieved on "For the change that we seek..." on http://citizensfightback.blogspot.com/ blog)

The cases mentioned (cleanliness and mannerism) in the blog, For the change that we seek..., posted on Dec 3rd, are used for symbolic purposes. And they definitely stand for our negligence to more serious issues such as security.

May be people who are dirty and rude deserve security. But being dirty is one’s personal choice which by no means offers you the right to keep his/her city dirty, the city/country being a public property (I appreciate Swetha’s efforts to take care that our team doesn’t litter, by carrying every piece of waste paper in her handbag until she found a dustbin). And here, when I say cleanliness I don’t only mean dirty roads, I also mean a society which has gone morally and psychologically corrupt. I talk about some of our corrupt practices (We tailgate. We don’t like our bags to be checked at security checks neither do our security personnel, who again are a part of this Aam Janta, care to check them properly) which eventually lead to what happened on 26/11.

We call these things small but tell me whether these small things are not the stepping stone for the big casualties? We say cleaning up our city is a minor thing, but do we understand what kind of diseases the dirt can bring in? Don’t people die of it? And if we killing people by not keeping our city clean, are we not terrorists in our own small way? So shall I say we can afford to be selecting about the measures of security? Shall I say that we choose to kill people by forcing them to fall ill but we can’t allow them to be killed by bullets? It might sound too theoretical but every crisis before it takes shape is theory.

I don’t question the questioning of Aam Janta to the people who are responsible for this exact issue. That has to be done. What I question is the motivation for this. I question the manner of execution of the questioning and its correctness. I definitely agree that there were some groups who were there in the march with right kind of motivation for I personally believe that we can’t be motivated by fear and frustration, it only instigates. A real motivation comes only from courage, and whosoever joined the march with that sense of courage, I respect them.

Can there be a bigger irony than this – Most of us don’t care even to participate in process to choose our government whom we are questioning today.

What would be a better question to ask to government/Security systems– “I am responsible to my duties but how could you lack to be responsible to yours?” OR “Don’t bother what I do but why don’t you be responsible for your duties?” You choose.


In short, I ask the same question that our banners in the protest march read– Why do we not be the answer rather than asking the questions?

Please accept my apologies if I sound blunt in my writing...

No comments: