Friday, April 14, 2017

Day 8 - Messiah?

Oh, the champion,
of ‘women-oriented’ films?
The staunch feminist,
in a male-dominated industry?
The brave one,
for doing what you do?
You, the trendsetter,
for women-oriented roles?

In the circle of educators,
She asked us all,
to open this circle, tell us 
oh, you teachers, or fellows, 
as some are called,
“you do what you do because…”

They said,
To change the world.
To help those poor kids.
For social justice.
For the love of those little beings.

I refuse.
The only person
whose empowerment
I am concerned with
is me, only me.

I wondered.
What's my because?
Should I say 
why I am really here for?
Do they really care
what I have to say?
I say it nonetheless – 
I am here for myself.
I am here, because
I love to teach.
And that’s my only cause.

Selfish? Or Bold?
What will the world think
for saying such a thing?

Some eyebrows raised.
Some lips smirked.
Some faces tightened.
And yet some red-burned.

Care, I not.
To champion a cause,
Isn’t my business.
The only cause,
to champion
is my own.

Did I said that 
to insult anyone?
Or did I responded 
only to your prompt?
Ready ff you were not
for I might say,
I wonder, why
was the question asked?

I believe
it is very preachy
even patronising
when I think
that I am going to do
something
for the larger good
of women.

I believe
it’s individuals,
in their mind,
and in their heart,
is where that change
must happen.

Yes, it's in their mind,
and in their heart,
is where that change 
must happen.

People say,
my films inspire them.
Humbled, I am.
I truly am.
But, hey, that’s not
what I set out to do,
Or did I?

I didn’t strategise.
I do films and play roles
as natural extensions
of myself and my being,
those that reflect
my current state of mind.

I do what I do,
as natural extensions 
of myself and my being,
those that reflect 
my current state of mind.

Invariably, trying I am
constantly to empower
myself, through my films.
It empowers me,
and if along the way,
it empowers someone else,
then that’s great.

But I am no messiah,
nor am I a god or a devi,
or the champion who can
change other’s world.

To be a feminist
is to know one's rights
and equal opportunities.
Therefore, a right to live
one's life on her own terms.
She must change her life
and champion her cause.
as each day, I have to do mine.

They must champion their own cause,
As each day, I have to do mine. 

- Based on Vidya Balan's interview in HT Cafe and interspersed with some conversations with people in education/non-profit word.

No comments: