Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Day 06 - The Single Stories

Saturday, afternoon. 
I log in to Facebook.
A friend's wall-post pops up.

"I marvel at the mindset 
of Indian army men
who rescue 
the same people 
who pelt stones at them 
in Kashmir.
He adds, "I also wonder 
at the morality 
of the Kashmiris 
who clutch 
on to the hands 
of the same army men
at whom they pelt stones!"

and he hashtags, 
"#Twisted #WheresKarma"

I read. 
There's a reaction 
already in my head.
Sharp.
Instant.
But, I pause. 
Think.
Come back.
and reread.
Like? Dislike?
Or Comment?
Shall I?
What's the point?
Will it be a troll?
Shall I just send 
a personal message?
I pause, and Think.
 It's on his public wall. 
So why a personal response?

I write,
about my views,
my schooling at the army school.
and my views counter to his.
Or is it in addition to his?

I write, 
"story of Kashmir has more to it... 
while there are those 
'who rescue the same people 
who pelt stones 
at them in kashmir',
there are still those 
who rape and humiliate. 
I am not saying 
that all Kashmiris 
are victims or becharas
But when we pose 
a blanket question 
on a "morality of Kashmiris", 
or for that matter anyone else,
I think, there's an opportunity 
to dig deeper 
than what we see. 
If we only present 
or engage 
with one side of the story, 
it leads us 
to veneration 
or hate. 
I assume 
you want none... 
and I hope 
what you seek
is a more nuanced 
and dialogical discourse."

I tell him, go watch, 

I pause.
I read what I wrote.
Should I hit send?
Or should I not?
And then I hit it. 

It's gone. 
Gosh! Should I go and delete it?
Or edit something?

I wait. 
I re-read. 
Get up.
Walk away.
Do other chores.

When I come back to the screen,

I see the notification blinking.
A new comment from him.
He writes, 
"I agree with you 
on blanket stereotyping. 
There is a big difference 
between 'morality of Kashmiris' 
and 'morality of the Kashmiris'. 
Maybe, I should have written 
'those kashmiris' 
which is what I meant 
with the definite article 
and maybe you could 
take a pause 
before 
jumping 
to a conclusion 
that the definite article 
was missing!"

I read. 
And reread.

I pause, 
this time more intentionally.
as was suggested.
not to jump 
on conclusion 
or for conclusions.

You know those moments,
when you want to laugh
and express pity or anger
at the same time?

This was something like that.

I pause.
I read.
I hit reply.
I write,"Sure"
I think, 
"no it's not able that definite article. 
It's about that judgement 
you through 
on a group of Kashmiris 
whose journeys you don't even know.
It's about the army men 
whom you venerated
whose journeys, again,
you don't even know.
It's about these single stories
you hold and regenerate."

I add an emoji - :-) 
and add, 
"thank you for clarifying,

I think, " You see,  
a father who rapes his son 
or a daughter 
in the night
and still takes 
care of him or her
in the day
the child might receive the care,
but could you say
he or she shouldn't throw tantrums?"

I add another emoji - :-)
And hit send. 

P. S. - And while 
what's said and what's not
in the comforts of our homes
there may be
some Kashmiris still being raped
and some army men still being stone-pelted.

- Based on a Facebook conversation with a friend.

No comments: